Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Perception of Wealth: Now You See It, Now You Don't!

It is difficult to know where to begin when describing what I know about Venezuela. In order to paint as full a picture as is possible, I think it has to include what goes on in the country politically, economically, and socially. It has to include the beauty and riches. It has to include the ugly and the extreme poverty so many living in Venezuela endure. So, to make it easy on myself I'll take my first post from somewhere else: My very own (other) blog.


The first time I ever went to Caracas my plane arrived after dark. As we rode from the airport at the beach up to the valley of Caracas the mountainsides shimmered with lights. I imagined the glory that must be the homes residing on prime real estate. Wow... there must be so much wealth in the oil-rich country of Venezuela. We arrived in Caracas that night and dined on a rooftop patio at a romantic restaurant.
We stayed at a very nice hotel. For a few days I went to places around Caracas. The largest mall in South America, many nice restaurants, etc. When it was time to leave the ride back to the airport happened in the light of day. Prime real estate, indeed! Once the shock had worn off enough I was able to grab my camera, roll down my window, and take this picture from the car.

No comments: